Thursday 28 June 2012

Hibernation




In the past few days I’ve thought on more than one occasion, ‘those bears are onto something’.  I could quite easily be hibernating right now.  I have found the temperatures in Brisbane lately to be freezing!  I realise that New Zealanders and anyone from a colder climate will be scoffing, and telling me that this is positively balmy, but honey – I am NOT a winter person.  Yes, I was born in New Zealand, but I spent the first seven years of my life in New Guinea and then moved to Brisbane.  So we can safely say that I am a card-carrying summer lover.

I didn’t realise this until approximately three days ago, when the Ice Age hit Brisbane.  The cold has affected me in a number of ways: 
  • I’m sleepy;
  • I lack motivation to do ANYTHING;
  • I dream about scalding hot baths & hot water bottles; and
  • the first thing I do in the morning is turn the heater on, instead of the kettle.

For a second day in a row, I found myself dozing on the couch at around the time I’m usually getting dinner ready for the kids.  Two nights in a row, The Architect has cooked dinner because I was so lethargic with cold that I didn’t do anything.  And one of those nights he’d just gotten off a plane.   I know - how pathetic.  The sheer laziness of it all will hit me when I thaw out.

In the meantime, I’m mooching around our post-war house with floorboards wearing at least two layers, hugging a hot water bottle and sprawling underneath the heater.

Mulled wine anyone?

Any other Brisbanites out there feeling the cold?

2 comments:

  1. This is life in Wellington for 3 months of the year honey...don't you dare complain! I am trying to think of the pros to try and make us both feel better but can't think of any just right now, just bunker down and let it pass, and no point complaining, its just morher nature. We have a heat pump going in next week so least I won't be racing for the heater every morning, and mulled wine or anything alcoholic does warm the soul at least. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan Dan, this is why I couldn't live in Wellington! No, no, no, no. Not for this little black duck :) ps miss you xx

      Delete

Would love to hear what you think :)