Wednesday 9 May 2012

Childhood Book...




This morning on the news I read that Maurice Sendak, author of Where the Wild Things Are had died.  My first exposure to this 1963 classic was when I had children and I fell in love with it immediately.  It’s no wonder it was loved by all – it was written for children and adults alike without  patronising either set.

I had many, many books throughout my childhood and a few of them have been passed down to the Polynesian Princess.  I dare say that the Little Warrior won’t be getting his hands on these as she seems to be deeply attached to these books.

The one childhood book that I absolutely adored was The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.  Have you read it?  It’s just the most beautiful story about a friendship beween a boy and a tree.  I never forgot the lessons this book taught me about love and friendship.  Sadly, I don’t have my copy anymore and one day I will buy one for the Polynesian Princess and Little Warrior.  And I hope they too will love the book as much as I did.

What was your favourite childhood book?  Do you still have it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you think :)