Tuesday 31 January 2012

January - a month in review



It's the last day of January and I can't believe that I've been in the blogosphere officially since December.  The feedback from everyone has been fantastic and I thank each and every one of you for letting me know your thoughts on my blog.

I started this year with a New Years Resolution that I would blog once a week.  But in January I blogged 13 times.  Well, actually I blogged 15 times, but those included my book reviews, and I have since moved those into another blog called "Occasional Reader".

To say that I am enjoying it, would be an understatement.  A girlfriend (you know who you are) actually suggested I do this a while ago.  I thought the idea so preposterous that I promptly forgot about it.  But I'm glad the idea was resurrected and that I actually brought it to fruition.

I started the month discussing what would be my old-age sport.  I got some great comments from people, specifically a friend of mine whose parents are still super active.  I aspire to be like them.

Last year I went through a big learning curve, and cut ties from a few friends that just weren't working for me, you know?  I've never really felt comfortable doing this, and wasn't sure how anybody else does it.  It inspired me to blog about it and it felt great putting it out there and finding out others were also in the same boat.

I also wrote a tribute to The Architect and his renovations.  He has done (and continues to do) so much for us, yet remains humble and modest.  Somebody has to sing his praises and celebrate his wins, and one way I chose to do that was through my blog.

I was having 'one of those days' when I sat down at my trusty Mac and banged out Days Like These.  It flowed easily and quickly, like most of my posts but this one seemed to just write itself.   This particular post got a lot of comments and I loved reading all of them.

A letter to my 16-year-old-self was so enjoyable to write.  I wish I could have kept a running monologue with my 16-year-old-self.  It would've saved a lot of heartache.  But then, would I be the person I am today?  Inevitably not.

Memory Smells came about because I was making lunch for the kids and they both love bully beef and rice.  It reminded me that I loved it as a child too, and one of the reasons I make it for them (indeed, why I make a lot of the meals from my childhood), is to have another piece of me live on with them, long after I'm gone.  And maybe, just maybe - they'll make it for their kids.

Polynesian Princess started Prep last week and I had to write about it.  I couldn't let this momentous occasion go by without acknowledging the grieving I was going through.  Moving from one stage in life is always so heart-wrenching for me.  I don't know why.  The answer is locked away in my childhood somewhere I'm sure.  But I moved on quickly and wrote about Australia Day, after being inspired by Dr Charlie Teo's Australia Day Address.

And finally, I finished off the month writing about First World Problems.  I haven't had many of them today, but I know I will before the day is over.

Again to everyone who has commented and sent me emails with feedback, thank-you, danke schoen, merci, muchos gracias, grazie tanto and namaste.  Your kind words are what keep me going.

1 comment:

Would love to hear what you think :)